Enon Chapel Baptist Church
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Touching Lives...Making Disciples

History of ECBC

  

    Enon Baptist Church was organized on August 16, 1872 with a membership of 16.  During the first one hundred years, Enon, named by Abbie Montford, wife of Dr. William J. Montford has been located in four different buildings.  The original location was at Cow Head, between Brown Sound and Piney Green, an area that is now part of Camp Lejeune.  A subsequent move in 1898 to a new building one mile below Piney Green also included the name change to Enon Chapel Baptist Church.  In 1942 the growth of Camp Lejeune caused the church to move again to the Piney Green Community.  Enon moved to its present location in 1969.

      The first pastor to serve the congregation was Elder B.J. Covington who began his work shortly after the church was founded.  Between 1874 and 1918, twenty-four men served as pastor.  About 1919 there was a change in the grouping of local churches.  Enon Chapel, Bear Creek, Marines (near Courthouse Bay) and Salem joined to form a new church field led by Rev. Belch.  In 1925 the Rev. Britt was called to the Swansboro field and Enon Chapel joined the group of churches surrounding the Swansboro area.  The next two pastors were Rev. W.O. Andrews and Rev. M.L. Mintz who served from 1930 to 1937.  The Rev. A.L. Benton served as pastor from 1937 to 1944 and it was during this time that the church moved to the Piney Green Community.

      During the period 1947-1958 Enon Chapel was served by Rev. W.D. Williamson, Rev. D.E. Couch and Rev. Paul Merritts.  After a period of service by the Rev. D.E. Hill as interim pastor until 1960, the church called Rev. Clyde F. Whitehead as the first full-time pastor on June 12, 1960.  In September of that year a new pastorium was dedicated and the church voted to join the New River Baptist Association.  In March 1964 the Rev. James T. Hatcher was called as pastor.  Under his leadership the planning, financing, and early planning stages of construction of the present building on Hwy. 24 were realized.  The building was under construction when Rev. Hatcher presented his letter of resignation in July 1968.  In September 1968 the Rev. Ned Beatty began his work as pastor and on May 4, 1969 the first worship service was held in the new church.  During the years 1969 to 1971 a kindergarten and later a preschool program was initiated and several men were licensed and ordained to the Gospel Ministry.  The church enjoyed good growth.  In August 1973 Rev. Paul S. Odum became pastor.   Rev. Odum faithfully served until his death on February 7, 1987. 

      Rev. Jim Kelley, the present pastor, served as interim pastor until called as pastor on June 3, 1987.